Friday, March 20, 2015

Gone and Done It...

What popped into your mind?  For me it was the Shania Twain song BUT nope- that actually has NOTHING to do with this post!  LOL :)

(image found here)

So, what did I do?  Well, two years ago I was training for my first half and had a huge sense of accomplishment when I finished.  Last year I did my third and that was dealing with sinus/respiratory issues and the beginning of the heel issues and while I did not do as well as the previous year- I was okay with that.  In the last year- well, let's just say (and if you have been reading my blog you know this) I let life take over and run the show.  So, this year- no half BUT I did sign up for the 5K- I know that I am not going to have my best time, PR, or anything of that nature- it's what happens when you have gained weight and haven't done the training BUT I do know that I NEED this.  I waffled back and forth on whether or not to sign up for it.  My mom encouraged me to do so but then I read THIS story and it clinched the deal.  You see- if that man- can put aside his pain, his discomfort, his self-consciousness to do it well, there's no excuses.  So- I signed up for the Covenant Health 5K.  I may be walking 90% of it (shoot, I climbed 5 sets of stairs today at the dr office and felt like I was breathing hard) BUT, I will finish it, I have to start somewhere and that is the somewhere I am going to start (well, hopefully sooner with some nice weather this coming week).

(image found here)



Setbacks and obstacles are a part of life- the question becomes- how am I going to use them- or how is God going to use them to strengthen who I am?  I saw this on FB and loved it (I have no clue who the original source is)


2 comments:

Bill (cycleguy) said...

I am sooooo proud of you for getting back out and doing this. Who cares what your time is? You have to start somewhere. I'll be looking forward to hearing not just how you did in this but how you do in the future. One step at a time.

Brooke said...

good for you - knowing what works and going after it isn't as easy as it seems it should be sometimes.