Wednesday, February 27, 2013

True Strength

**sorry for those who got this as a double post in a reader- I thought I set it to schedule on wednesday and it published automatically when I finished.  I didn't want it "live" until Wednesday so I deleted and redid it.

The Free Online Dictionary defines strength as the following:
 The state, property, or quality of being strong. 
 The power to resist attack; impregnability.
 The power to resist strain or stress; durability.
A source of power or force. 
 One that is regarded as the embodiment of protective or supportive power; a support or mainstay.

The Bible (my "dictionary") defines strength as being found in God.  Just a few verses that I highlight today regarding strength:
1 Chronicles 19: 13- "Be strong, and let us use our strength for our people and for the cities of our God, and may the Lord do what seems good to him.” (this is an interesting story in the chapter...)

Psalm 18:31-33 (I LOVE this imagery)- "For who is God, but the LordAnd who is a rock, except our God?— the God who equipped me with strength and made my way blameless.  He made my feet like the feet of a deer and set me secure on the heights."

Psalm 28:7- "The Lord is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him."

and Psalm 46:1- "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble."


I think, as you can see the world's definition of strength and the Bible's definition of strength are pretty much one and the same- the difference?  The source of that strength.  Sadly, the world sees strength as physical or even mental.  I believe the Bible defines strength on all levels- including physical and mental but taking it one step further to the spiritual.  I have been attacked lately on several things- physically (my knee), mentally (discouragement) and most recently spiritually (wondering if I am hearing God correctly).  Thankfully, I have a good foundation on the spiritual and mental side of things and am working on the physical aspect in order to fight off those attacks.  




Now, how does this relate to fitness, to sweat, to leaving it all out on the floor? 

 

 I think it fits in here perfectly... to know that when you have reached the end of all that you THINK you can do, the strength that got you to where you are- when you dig in deep, when you're at that "quitting" moment- THAT is what is going to get you through.  Just as, for me, I know the Lord is what got me to where I am and HE will carry me (he says so multiple times in both Psalms and Isaiah)!  

**disclaimer: I know that not all who read my blog believe as I do, however, these latest posts are where I am personally at this point in time.  I will not deny my faith as it is a very real part of who I am and my daily life (physically and spiritually).  So please know that I will at times take this blog in a different track (I guess that today is one of those times).  If you ever feel the need to ask more questions please comment below or send me a personal email (email is in the about me part).  If not, know that not ALL of my posts will be in this vein.

4 comments:

Bill (cycleguy) said...

It is normal to get confused about hearing when disappointment rears its ugly head. That is when you "hunker down" and slow the pace to see if you are hearing correctly or if He wants you to slow down or take you in a different direction. Or even better: show you something amazing. I certainly don't have the answer, but just know I am right there with you...praying.

Tami Grandi said...

Oh, I know, I just pray that I have the grace to accept His answer- whatever it may be

Rhonda Berlin Music said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm so glad I found your blog this morning. :)

Coach Jen said...

I love that last quote, so true and something we often forget when things get tough.