Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Holy = Whole? Part 2

When I left yesterday's post I mentioned that my dad ended with five things to put us in our right mind and now I want to apply them to my journey to health that I am still on.  The underlined part will be his thoughts and the non-underlined parts are mine.

1.) Recognize the presence of sin in our flesh.  I like food- a lot- different kinds of food- and sometimes, I eat way more than I should or do not eat in a way that is honoring God.  When I overindulge, when I eat that which I know I should not then I am allowing myself to give in to the flesh. That's not to say I shouldn't enjoy my food or that I can't ever stray from my plan, but I need to recognize it's place in my life and make sure #2 is on target.

2.) Have a heart fixed on God.  When my heart is focused and in tune, when I am walking in complete obedience, then it makes it easier to not stray.  When I realize that all I eat or drink is to be done to the glory of God (1 Cor. 10:31) it makes a little easier to say no (but still can be a struggle for sure!)

3.) Meditate on God's word.  For me, this is going to look like verses taped on my cupboards, in my car, on my fridge, behind my desk at school, etc., wherever I find temptation.  I need to have His word in front of me to fight it!

4.) Communicate regularly with God in prayer.  Again, this will look a lot like number 3.  I need to truly ask myself some hard questions when I am faced with the temptations of food, drink or even just skipping a workout and then pray my way through it.

5.) Be obedient.  My dad reminded me of this truth- God wants my complete obedience, not a partial obedience, not a "when I feel like it" obedience but a full surrender obedience.  A "this is hard but it's where you have led me" obedience. A "it's a do the next right, yet hard," step of obedience.

Am I there yet? No
Am I going to strive to get there- You bet!
Is it going to be easy? No
Will it be worth it? More than ANYTHING!

To end today I am going to post another of my favorite songs that reminds me where my focus needs to be- this one ends up on repeat a lot!

1 comment:

Bill (cycleguy) said...

I love I Am They but had never heard this song. WOW! it could quickly become a favorite. I guess i can say at least one person listened Sunday. :) Thanks for listening and above all being open to God's voice speaking through His Word.