Monday, April 7, 2014

Hot Chocolate 5K #3 out of 14


The day after Valentine's Day there was a run that benefitted a local runner who was raising funds for Team in Training.  I signed up quite a while before that when the race came open and was so excited for it- the funny thing is I couldn't partake in the post-race goodies- it was a Hot Chocolate/Chocolate Lover's 5K.  This race took place at a local park on a greenway- it was an out and back.  My training "plan" that day had me running 7 miles so I went early and ran 2 to start out and then the 5K (3.1) and then planned to finish out with another 2 BUT, once again, we had been in the throes of a Polar Vortex and had about 8 inches of snow on the Thursday before (but it was gone by that night- that's East TN for you) so I got my first 5 and then ended up coming home and doing the final two on the treadmill.  I have run this particular route in a previous race so was familiar with it.  It's a pretty route- the greenways here are (for the most part) amazing!  However, there are some that I won't run on by myself because they go through some secluded areas.  This one is one that is busy enough on those nice days I would feel okay with it.  It is an out and back which means I knew the hills I would face on my way back but after the 2 mile warm up my legs felt really good.  I think it actually came in a little short of 3.1 (at least according to my gps which I seriously question after my half) but I did do well- my official time was: 34:24.  That's the best time I have had in a long time (and one that I have yet to surpass or even get close to again LOL).  It was another run that I did with several friends and that always makes it lots of fun :)


This was a fun race and I look forward to doing it again!

6 comments:

Brooke said...

i had friends who ran this one, and they said it was bitter cold. of course they were also the dufuses who ran it in skirts ;)

Bill (cycleguy) said...

February and you are just now posting it? :) Proud of you. had to laugh at Brooke's comment. Run in skirts?

Unknown said...

That's an awesome time hun!! Congrats on braving the cold and getting your miles in :)

Tami Grandi said...

Brooke- it was cold and I may have seen those friends of yours LOL

Tami Grandi said...

Dad- I have been a little busy… and I actually have a running skirt- I wore it in the half :)

Tami Grandi said...

Thanks Caitlin- it was COLD!