Sunday, July 14, 2013

Peaks, Valleys, and Plateaus


I live in the midst of the Great Smoky Mountains and am always in awe whenever I drive around at sunrise and sunset. I don't know of too many places as beautiful as where I live (with the exception of the following which is quite possibly one of my favorite places on this Earth):
(psst... this is a view from Poseidon's Temple near Athens, Greece- this was WAY back in 2003 with an old point and shoot camera- unfortunately I don't have a newer picture)

Anyway, back to the point, this summer has been full of those peaks, valleys, and plateaus.  I have experienced those highs: finishing a second half marathon, completing races, going back to spin classes.  I have experienced those valleys: slicing my thumb this past week (I sliced a piece off) put a damper on some things since I didn't have a good grip, having a conference to attend all week (which, while it was a great conference- I didn't get any exercise and had NO control over the food that was being served which was not good) and I have had those plateaus- this is where I am now.  Losing weight has plateaued and unfortunately, I have quite a bit still to go.  Now, I know it's a journey and not a race and part of that journey are going to be those "flat times" but this one has dragged on.  Ever since late last November when I came within a few lbs of what was my then goal weight I have put on 10-12 lbs back and cannot get them off.  So, once again I am adjusting my eating and hoping that with being back and getting back into the routine and picking up my running again that I will start to see a difference.  


Because to be honest- right now I am struggling.  I am struggling to see beyond the number. I am struggling to believe in myself that I can do this. I am struggling to figure out how to work on healing some things naturally instead of dealing with medicine. I am struggling with letting go of things that I have no control over and instead using them as stepping stones.  I am struggling with trusting the process.  I am struggling- period.  Why do I put this out there?  So you know that you aren't alone. So that I can be held accountable by those who read this blog (hi dad)! So that I acknowledge that it's there- hiding behind it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. 

Now, on another note- those who know me that I get stuck in my certain veggies and not only that, I am not a pepper fan but my blogging buddy Abby over at Back to Square Zero posted a recipe a while ago that are, what I call, Cheesy Sweet Peppers.  I made them both yesterday and today (Saturday and Sunday) and oh my... I did find that I like using laughing cow/weight watchers spreadable cheese over the cheese stick (a little creamier) so will probably go that route when I can.  However, these will become an evening snack staple. Now, if I can just find something to take care of the salty craving (I tried zucchini chips but that's how I chopped off part of the thumb LOL)


And my current shoe "obsession" (meaning- I am wondering if they would work for me) are these gorgeous (and fun) Mizuno Wave Sayonaras- Oh, I would really like these- guess I'll be saving those pennies (and quarters, dimes, and nickels).


Questions: How do you break through a plateau?  What are you saving for?  And what's your favorite go-to HEALTHY salty snack?

3 comments:

Bill (cycleguy) said...

I'm h-e-e-e-e-e-re! Sometimes plateaus are a nuisance, but sometimes they are stepping stones to the next level. Live in the plateau, making good food/exercise/ life habit choices. Before you realize it you will be moving toward the next level. I know you won't, but don't give up. love you much.

Bill (cycleguy) said...

Oh yeah. Sorry can't help you with your new current obsession. I just had to buy my own Mizunos (on sale at IRC). Have no clue what name they are.

Tami Grandi said...

I know- I just don't like the struggle (even though I know the struggle is what makes it worthwhile). I'll get there- just won't be on my timetable but on his!