Monday, May 6, 2019

Holy=Whole?

Last week I picked up a book.  The book is called The Wellness Revelation and it was written by Alisa Keeton who is also the founder of the ministry Revelation Wellness (where I got my group fitness certification through in 2017).  The last time I read the book it was for my training.  This time I am reading it because I know the content and I know that it's what my heart and mind need to take in at this time.  I need to get back to a right relationship with food and let go of how it has become an "idol" in my life.

Anyway- chapter 1 had this quote- "When we are holy, then we are whole."  I journaled a simple (yet hard) question- in terms of a healthy, physical lifestyle and habits- what does it mean to be holy?  The Bible says- "Be holy for I am holy.." How do I apply that to my healthy without it becoming a wrong kind of obsession?  Is there such a thing in the pursuit of holiness and wholeness?

That was all written on Saturday and then the following was journaled on Sunday night after my dad's sermon and church service (warning- this may get a bit long so I may cut it off and make a second post):  As I continued to ponder this today my dad preached on Romans 8 and talked about the difference between sanctification and holy.  I learned that sanctification is being set apart for God's purpose and holy means to be set apart from that which is unholy.  When I look at the above quote from TWR with that lens it begins to make sense.

When we are holy (set apart from the unholy) then we are whole (unbroken)- because, as we walk in grace and truth AND live out love then we are becoming more like Jesus, who was holy, and therefore whole (even as his physical body was broken).  But, because of sin- because of my flesh - because of exactly what Paul wrote about in Romans 7:15, "For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate."  I wander, I lose focus, I live according to the flesh.

My dad ended with 5 things of living a life in the right mind.  I want to apply those same 5 things to my musings here in my journey to health but I think this has gone on long enough for today so I will follow up with those five things tomorrow.  I am going to leave you with this Casting Crowns song- Only Jesus because it is quickly becoming a new favorite!

1 comment:

Bill (cycleguy) said...

I'm glad to see you connecting the love of food to the love of self. I may not have the "love affair" with food (although I do like to eat). but I do struggle with a love affair with that two-wheeled vehicle of mine. I hope this new journey of yours brings you to the "wholeness" you desire. I'm proud of you either way.