Sunday, February 26, 2017

Quiet

I have been quiet lately- for good reason.  I was waiting on my dad to post a few things so that he was the first to say it and so some of his readers who also read my blog heard it from him first (unless you are my friend on FB- then you knew about it). Some of you may remember this post from back in November.  Well, turns out life wasn't done throwing curveballs.  On Friday, February 17- about 3:10 or so I get a text from my mom to call her asap- after finding someone to cover my class I did and she told me that my dad had been in another bicycle accident and that she was on her way to the hospital from out of town.  I teach 5 minutes from the hospital so after I went crying to my principal (and yes, she made me calm down before I got in the car) I left.  I got there by 3:40 and paced, sat, paced, sat, and so on until my mom came in.  Then I cried.  After I finally stopped crying I was able to go back where I could see for myself- it was going to be a long road BUT he was alive.  There were several visitors to the hospital after that but when I finally got to go back after a lot of waiting we waited even more- from about 3:20-1:00 (when he got admitted to a room- but I left at 11).  We found out he had no injury to his brain, a broken collarbone and three broken ribs and lots and lots of pain.


The next day (Saturday)   I spent the afternoon at the hospital with he and my mom.  I would do okay in the hospital and then when I got home I would cry- buckets of tears it felt like- tears at what could have been, tears about how life doesn't always make sense, tears of thanksgiving, and tears of sadness too.  He finally came home on Sunday.

However, Saturday night, I did this- because that man lying in that hospital bed- believes in me and supports me 100%- no 200%- even when I don't believe in myself.  Even when I question and doubt and try to walk away from the fear- he prays for me and encourages me.  So it was time to put aside my fear and register.



Fast forward to Wednesday (Monday was a holiday and Tuesday was a normal school day).  Wednesday was surgery day- he got there early and when the dr came and got us after surgery- he had 4 broken bones in his collarbone!  I will say this- if I ever have need for an orthopedic surgeon I want him to be mine- he was nice, personable, and efficient.  And since then I have heard other good reports about him from a variety of people.

(after surgery picture) 


I had taken Wednesday off work so prepped that afternoon to be ready for the rest of the week.  Little did I  know that God was going to take those plans and pull THAT rug from under me too.  What I didn't mention was the week leading up to my dad's accident was a busy and rough one- I was exhausted and running on about 1% battery life when I got that text.  And my relaxing, three day weekend- that didn't happen.  Then Thursday morning I woke in the middle of the night with that stomach bug and then ran a 102.3 fever for a while.  Due to the surgery and broken ribs I quarantined myself and for two days I slept.  I probably got about 30 hours of sleep in the 48 hour period before I started feeling human again.

Friday- I made the first payment for my training.  I have the extra money for the first few payments but from there- God is going to have to show up BIG time with that, the plane fare money in November, the purchase of the required reading and manuals, as well as the odds and ends that are part of the training.  And you know what- I have every faith in Him because I truly believe that this is of Him.  So- that's where I am- I am working on the t-shirts for the fundraiser part of things.  I want to use someone local but am considering still going ahead and going with teespring or something of that nature.  I don't want to collect the money ahead of time.  I also have a local Lularoe consultant who has a generous fundraiser plan and am looking at that as well for late April or early May.

So- this long post is just a catch up- no song today (although I have one that I really want to post this week) and if you have read this far- thank you.  Oh, and ALWAYS make sure those you care about know that you love them!  You just never know.

Don't know what I would ever do without him. First and foremost he is my spiritual advisor, my teacher in so many things.....drawing, painting, tennis, baseball, fishing, hunting, aiming small and missing small (archery, pistol & rifle). He taught me everything I know about the outdoors. He accompanied me to buy my prom dresses, homecoming court and my wedding dress. I'm so lucky to have my Dad in my life, especially the relationship we have. Others are not as fortunate, so with Father's Day approaching I am reminded to let him know how truly blessed I am.:
(and no I have no clue who these people are-just liked the quote)


3 comments:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Tami, I am heartbroken over your dad's accident, but so thankful to God that he is alive. With all the broken bones and contusions, it could have been so much worse!
And yes, no matter how old we are, we always need our dads. I miss mine so since he passed away in 2014. I know you will treasure every moment you have with yours.
Blessings!

Tami Grandi said...

It was definitely hard but could've been so different. I am so thankful. I will certainly be treasuring those moments. Thank you!

Bill (cycleguy) said...

First, if pushing you to do this Revelation Wellness is a result then i would do it again. (Okay maybe not so drastic...).

Second, no matter how old a daddy gets sometimes he needs his little girls too. Just remember that. You both were invaluable to me (and to mom) during this time.