Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Tuesday Tidbits of Randomness

As I have mentioned I finally went to the doctor last week.  I did get the diagnosis, have a plan for treatment, and have begun that process.  When all of this first started I thought it was PF (because that was a common thing) and then as I started pinpointing pain I realized it was more along the lines of the achilles tendon area.  When I had to postpone my appt earlier in November I started really focusing on the area and amount of pain when I had it so I could chat with the dr about it.  On Black Friday it hit randomly (and bad) but I had a better idea of pain- so when I googled it I came up with the inflammation of the bursa sacs and Haglunds.  Well, sure enough, it's Haglund's Deformity.  It all ties together but thankfully I don't seem to have it as bad as some.  Mine's not as easily seen- it was found through the x-ray.  So, I have some expensive anti-inflammatory cream (I can't use NSAIDs due to my kidney issues), some stretches, some foam heel "lifts" (which hurt the bottom of foot), and a follow up appointment at the end of December.  I am trying to avoid physical therapy due to cost if I can but if that's the route I need to go then I guess I will figure it all out.

Along with diagnosis comes the desire to actually run.  Interestingly enough, since black Friday I have had very little heel pain.  I want to get out and do the run walk thing to see how it goes.  However, I also don't want to push it.  I have contacted Mizuno and told them my issues and asked for suggestions based on the need for a little bit of a heel lift.  They suggested the Wave Paradox- guess I better start saving my pennies- it's not the cheapest shoe on the market LOL...  

picture from the Mizuno website

At the time of this writing- there are only 8.5 days left until Christmas break.  I am working on the "me" time- it's coming along- but I still have some other things to figure out.  I know it will all come together but hoping that a fresh start/clean slate in January will get the ball rolling.  

And last, my favorite part of this post- 5 years ago some friends of mine had their twins at 25 weeks.  Sara shares their story here- it has been an amazing journey- check out the video at the end and just bask in His goodness! 

3 comments:

Bill (cycleguy) said...

So I take it the shoes are really expensive. Like how much expensive? What is the difference between PF and Haglunds whatever-it-is? Looking forward to seeing you over break. Love you much.

Tami Grandi said...

Shoes are about 140. PF affects the fascia at the underneath of the foot. Haglunds is more on the achilles.

Brooke said...

love mizunos, but yeah they aren't cheap. i wear their neutral shoe and was excited to find them in my size for $60!