Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Epidemic that is Taking over children

*disclaimer: I was provided an advance digital copy of the book in exchange for a review, comments, and/or blog post.  

(and yes, I know I have been gone for a while- I'm trying to desperately to find a routine- it's not going so well!) 

This post is a little different in that I am going to be doing a review plus talk about something that is very close to my heart.  There is an epidemic that is taking over our children and taking away their childhood.  Obesity in children is growing at disturbing rate- I am including links that tell the tale:
The CDC does state that obesity has declined a small bit in preschool children in low income areas
(and if you scroll down there are a couple other links there with info)
This PDF has some disturbing facts- 1 in 3 preschool children are obese or overweight by their 5th birthday!
Why Children need an hour of exercise a day
What can we do about obesity?
Kids health tackles overweight and obesity
and finally- Childhood Obesity Facts

As you can see- a lot has changed in the last few years and quite honestly, it's time to get off our hands and DO something about it.  I will be honest- I was never overweight as a child- as I hit puberty though things started to change and by high school I would have been considered overweight- I have been fighting that ever since.  I am still working my way through this journey and I just wonder if it would have been any different if I had not been overweight?  I also know that as long as I was playing basketball I didn't have a weight problem, as soon as that stopped, pretty much all physical activity stopped and the weight gain started.  I have no clue what I weighed in high school or college.  I know that I can look at my senior picture and see the weight there (of course the big hair probably helped with that- LOL).  What I do know is that part of my job is to teach the children that I come in contact with about healthy habits.  And I can't teach them what I don't do.  So, I am going to make even more of an effort to lead by example.


This book by an IIN graduate will help in that.  This book is an interactive workbook that breaks up the teachings into 8 Life Lessons: Love Yourself, Love Your Life, Dream Big, Think Positive, Learn to Relax, Eat Healthy, Be Active and Love Others

Lindsey and Janelle have collaborated on this book and a "movement" they are calling- Nourishment for Kids.  You can see their website HERE; facebook page HERE; and their twitter page HERE!  They are just getting this launched and I would love for you to go take a look!   

I had the opportunity to preview this and I loved it!  I can see myself using this on a weekly basis with an after school club or in my health coaching with children.  You can read other reviews HERE

2 comments:

Bill (cycleguy) said...

What is IIN? I was wondering if you were still alive. j/k. I can see this course being used by you in some form. I see God using you to change kids' lives by helping change their health. Love you.

Tami Grandi said...

uh Dad- IIN is the school I am taking the classes through :) It's been a rough couple of weeks. Love you too!