Monday, December 3, 2012

What's Going on?




Is it normal? I have done a 5K in 34:06, i did 5 miles in 55:50, and today, I STRUGGLED doing a 4 mile run. Now, granted I did this at a local park/greenway this afternoon (74 degrees and sunny- yes thank you) but here are my thoughts on why I did so poorly (meaning, I couldn't run the whole thing- not even close)

 1. The terrain/elevation. This particular greenway is extremely hilly- here are the details for it: Lakeshore Greenway now- the description says difficult with extreme slopes

2. I have had some difficulties managing my schedule and how I feel in order to get the run in- that MUST change- I have a half marathon to train for- EEK!

3. And here's the third reason (for the record- I think 1 and 3 are my two biggest reasons)- the two organized runs/races I have participated in have been in the cold AND there have been other people running.  For whatever reason I feel like I probably do better when I am running around other people- it keeps me motivated and my pace consistent.  I guess I'll find out Saturday when I take part in the Jingle Bell Run.  This will be the last 5K until New Year's Day!  woohoo! 

Oh, and another tidbit of info- I am working on 25 days of intentional exercise- but for me and my schedule- I am counting on the fact that if I at least get 15 minutes of GOOD stretching/foam rolling in then it works for me- sometimes that is what is needed.  For example, Friday- I am not going to want to run the day before my race but a brisk 10 minute walk and a good 15 minute stretch/foam rolling before bed will be good.  I need something even on those days that seem to go on forever.  I got the idea from the blog in this link; Advent Exercise Calendar I am tweaking mine though- I am die cutting a bunch of various colored circles out and on the back putting random things (not on all- just some)- such as: send a note to someone who inspires you, purchase a "deal" for a massage, look for a new race to sign up for, go to the thrift store and find a new pair of pants, etc.  Anyone have anything else I could add?  :)  I will be working on those for the next couple of nights so any help is appreciated.

And let's end our Monday with this:


2 comments:

Bill (cycleguy) said...

I like the poster at the end. That is my goal. :) You are doing fine honey. Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged or overloaded.

Miz said...

checking back on you...